zotz

I visit the zoo.

Monday, October 11, 2004

Visitor: This one, tortoise, is by Carl Rakosi, an Objectivist, Marxist, psychologist, social worker, and poet who recently died at the age of 100. "In the First Circle of Limbo" is a good epitaph for a good poet, which it probably why it was chosen it for BAP2004.

Tortoise: Why are you telling me this?

Visitor: Because we're here.

Tortoise: *pulls head into shell*

Visitor: I know you can hear me. Here's the poem.
Liberate me,
               Muse,
from this encirclement
               of categories.
Your themes
               are plein-air
endless
               sad.
Put some wit
               and compassion
into this pen!

In the BAP notes, Rakosi explains that "categorizing is a seductive process" that is "much too limiting and tends to hold one in bondage." The last sentence seems unnecessary. Let the grass grow over the rest.
Liberate me,
               Muse,
from this encirclement
               of categories.
Your themes
               are plein-air
endless
               sad.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home