zotz

I visit the zoo.

Monday, November 08, 2004

Visitor: I like the last stanza of Kenward Elmslie's "Sibling Rivalry" (BAP2004). Well, I like more of it, but I like the last stanza especially. I think of a modern fairy tale.
The outside world,
The endlessness of its endlessness.
Lost Empires to map.
Inca. Aztec. Codes to crack.
Toy cars. Oz. War. Afar.
My very own Princess, Margaret Rose.
Adolf Hitler's radio rant.
My very own Empire under attack.
Cooled ear pressed
against sprinkled on grass,
if I listened hard, past its crust,
through Planet Earth's
molten lava core,
from my safe perch
I heard China roar.

Bison: A Khan job. Kubla, Fran and Ollie.
Mynah: I like the sounds. Listen to the esses and tees in this part.
Cooled ear pressed
against sprinkled on grass,
if I listened hard, past its crust,

And then the ohs and arrs, the els, the ths and chs.
through Planet Earth's
molten lava core,
from my safe perch
I heard China roar.

Mynah: That's what I like.


1 Comments:

At 5:22 AM, Blogger chris said...

Malcolm, you are so right in this--the sound as thing, and lively things with all kinds of sound. Thanks for pointing out this one. I'm going now to my BAP looking for it to read more closely (than my initial readings of this BAP) the entire wonder of the poem.

Best,
Chris

 

Post a Comment

<< Home